Monday, January 26, 2009

Whaddaya Know Joe?

Joe Torre and Tom Verducci have coauthored a book entitled "The Yankee Years" which is slated to come out on Feb. 3rd.  Early returns say this book bashes the Yankees and airs the team's dirty laundry.  Joe Torre, once the symbol of class and resolve in New York, is putting a lot on the line by coming out with this book now.  He is still an active manager and if a lot of the locker room stuff comes out what message does that send to his current players on the Dodgers?  Many of the players discussed in the book are still active players so what does that say about Torre's class and judgement?  
This book is not a surprise.  Torre has authored or coauthored a couple of books so it was only a matter of time before Torre came out with a comprehensive book on his time with the Yanks.  Tom Verducci says this is not just about Torre, that it is an historical documentation of the Yankees teams during Torre's reign.  If that is the case, and current players have made comments, then a lot of people need to take a class in ethics and class.  
I will reserve judgement on Torre and whomever else was in on this.  I will read it even though it goes against my better judgement but I will want to be sure.  What I won't do is hold back on Torre.

I am glad he is gone.  I like the man as a person (judgement pending on this book).  I love what he did with my team.  I will never forget the 1996 Series, nor the 1998 season.  I will also never forget getting the news that the Red Sox had come back in 2004 while I was in Iraq.  I won't forget his senile-like management of the Yankee lineup in 2006 against the Tigers.  I won't forget Torre refusing to take his team off the field after the gnat-like midges swarmed Joba Chamberlain.  I will never forget Torre's mishandling of his relievers from Tom Gordon, Paul Quantrill, Allen Watson, Mike Stanton, Tanyon Sturtze, Scott Proctor, and on and on.  If I were Scott Proctor I would sue Torre for negligence.  I will never forget Torre failing to have his hitters bunt against Schilling during the bloody sock game.  I will never forget the inactivity Torre had on the bench as the Red Sox, aka Pedro Martinez, threw at Yankee hitters.  Torre was a lot of things, including irrelevant in Yankeeland by the time his contract was up.  He didn't deserve a new contract.  Torre should have left or been fired after he lost to the Angels in 2005.  
Now, I hope this book doesn't ruin a legacy of a man who is revered in all corners of the sports world.  I hope he knows he is still managing a baseball team and what is written here will be reflected in the Dodger Clubhouse.  Until I read the book all one can do is hope that the black and white between the cover doesn't betray years of magic and joy.

No comments: