Saturday, July 26, 2008

What the....?

It seems that the Yankees and Pirates adjusted their deal for Xavier NAdy and Damaso Marte.  Instead of George Kontos and Phil Coke going with Jose Tabata and Ross Ohlendorf it is now Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens that are headed to Pittsburgh.  McCutchen was just beginning to excel and had been talked about as a potential replacement if Sidney Ponson had faltered.  
Jeff Karstens is a fringe player so his inclusion does not effect the Yankees much.  However, I think including McCutchen in this deal will come back to haunt the Yankees, much like trading Damaso Marte for Enrique Wilson.  
As for Tabata, I think the Yankees were turned off by his almost giving up on baseball.  Potential or not, the Yankees don't need a 20 year old prima donna.  Besides, Austin Jackson is the true prospect of the Yankees outfield.  He almost made the Yankees out of Spring Training and has not missed a beat at AA Trenton.  It will only be a matter of time before Jackson rightfully takes his place as the starting center fielder on this Yankee team.  Think Bernie Williams, at least I do when I hear about Jackson.  
Don't get me wrong, I think Nady will prove to be an X-Factor on this Yankee team.  I think he gives the Yankees a scrappiness they desperately need.  I just hope Brian Cashman realizes what he gave up to get it and that it does not come back to haunt the Yankees for years.

No comments: