Friday, February 24, 2012

This and That and the Other Thing

- Is there anyone more respectable than Duke Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski?  I mean seriously, is there?  How can you not root for the guy?  There are no recruiting scandals to speak of.  No players getting into trouble with the law.  A nationally ranked team almost every year he has coached and players that tend to graduate one of the most prestigious schools in the country.  Sports Illustrated was right to have named him and Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt "Sportspeople of the Year."  We are talking about two class individuals who focus on their players/students more than they do on winning.  Winning is secondary to them yet seems to come so easily.  I can think of no one other than Coach K to lead our Men's Olympic basketball team.  The guy is total class, and all he knows is winning.  He represents all that is good in the game of college basketball.  Even people who hate Duke have to respect what Coach K has done.

-Ryan Braun was found to be innocent of using performance enhancing drugs.  For me, there are a lot of unanswered questions.  Among them are, what caused the spike in testosterone levels?  Was it mishandling of the evidence or something else?  How did this story leak to the media when the results of these tests are supposed to be private until MLB confirms them?  Why is that nobody seems accountable on any end of this story?  My personal opinion, I am glad Braun was found innocent, yet I find myself hoping he really is and didn't get off on a technicality.  Hopefully MLB learned from this mess and it, it's fanbase, and the players can move forward.

- Speaking of performance enhancing drugs, has Manny Ramirez tested positive yet?

- How popular is Jermey Lin?  He made the cover of Sports Illustrated for the second straight week.  To be honest, I don't think that has ever happened before.  If it has please correct me.  He is the first Knick to grace the cover since 2002 when Othella Harrington was being posterized by the Wizards Michael Jordan and the first Knick since 1999 to make the cover as something other than a stooge when Latrell Sprewell made the cover.  I don't know about you but I find that amazing.

- According to ESPN.com, teams are engaging the St. Louis Rams in talks regarding the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 Draft.  The Rams, not in the market for a QB would be wise to trade down if offered the right package.  The Rams are a team with lost of holes and if they can obtain extra draft picks to fill them then they would be wise to do so.  It is speculated that teams engaging the Rams in talks are those in need of a quarterback who want the chance to draft Robert Griffin III, who some believe to be the next Cam Newton.  I say "some" because I need to see more out of the Heisman winning QB.  The talent is there in Griffin but I still have questions.  Hell, I have questions about every QB in every draft so take that for what it's worth.

- A lot has been made of Jeremy Lin and his receiving attention because he is Asian.  Personally, I don't find race to be an issue.  I don't care if you are even from this planet.  When you put up numbers like Lin has in your first few games as a starter everyone should take notice.  Floyd Mayweather, however, thinks he speaks for all black athletes when he criticized all of the attention being paid to Lin.  I personaly called him a racist on Twitter and told him I couldn't wait until he got knocked out.  There was no response.  Mr. Mayweather, you are a boxer, not a spokesperson for NBA players and not a spokesperson for the African-American community.  throw some punches then shut up, period.  It seems in recent years everyone is all too eager to throw around the "racism" line when someone disagrees with someone of another race.  This is the United States of America.  We may not have the most spotless past but we can determine our future and as long as we identify as races, religion, or even heritage first we will never survive as a country.  It is time to think of ourselves as American first and be happy for everyone who meets with success, regardless of race, religion, heritage, or sexual orientation.  Stop the stupidity, start with the unity!

- It is hard to believe Danica Patrick will only be 30 years-old next month.  It feels like she has been around forever in racing.  It probably feels like it has been forever since Danica is featured in just about every sports magazine, from story to advertisement and everywhere in between.  Not even the best NASCAR drivers have the kind of endorsements she has.  Some may say it is based on her being a woman.  I say it is because she is an attractive woman who happens to race.  Are my comments sexist?  Maybe slightly, but sex sells.  It also doesn't hurt that she is the "underdog" in a sport dominated by men.  Americans love the underdog and she will remain the underdog until she wins a NASCAR race.

- Roy Oswalt announced yesterday that he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens an sign with a contender in mid-season.  I find it hard to believe that there isn't one team out there that is willing to take on a pitcher with Oswalt's track record.  Sure, he has some injury history but he has to be worth a shot, right?  My bet it he signs with Texas after one injury to Texas' starters or an ineffective beginning to one of their back end guys.

- Speaking of Texas, the Rangers announced that Yu Darvish isn't here to "play around."  No kidding!?!?!  You mean he will take his job as a starting pitcher seriously?  Wow!

- That sound you heard last night was the Los Angeles Kings getting better.  They acquired C Jeff Carter from the Columbus Blue Jackets for  D Jack Johnson and a first-rounder.  Johnson is a good defenseman who can help on both sides of the puck but Jeff Carter can, if on his game, become an elite scorer out west.  Good trade for both teams.  Carter makes a ton of money but should give the Kings the bump they need into the playoffs and become a threat once there.  I don't think they stand a shot of getting in the way of the Red Wings or Canucks but they could do some damage.

- It will be interesting to see if the Carter trade has any impact on the Blue Jackets desire to trade Rick Nash.  I think they will still trade him and continue the rebuilding process but only if they get a decent package in return.

- Staying with the NHL, my NHL MVP, or Hart Trophy winner, is Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.  He also happen to be my Vezina Trophy winner for best goaltender.  He is the best Rangers goalie I have seen in my lifetime and that covers Mike Richter and John Vanbiesbrouck, both of whom won Stanley Cups, albeit Beezer won with the Panthers.

- There is no truth to the rumor that the new his and her scents from the New York Yankees will mirror how well the team is playing.  Nothing says die-hard like smelling like crap when your team is playing like it.  I am a die-hard Yankees fan but won't be lining up to buy this unless it smells good.  Even then I don't think I would buy it.  When I think about a sports related scent I immediately think sweat and locker room.  Then again, I could be wrong.  However, I am skeptical since the only thing from the old Yankee Stadium not to show up on Steiner Sports were the bathroom accoutrements.  I hope the Yankees didn't use them in this new cologne/perfume.  Nothing says "I love my team" like smelling like their bathrooms!

- That's all folks.  Working on my MLB 2012 predictions, or, as I like to call them...my 2012 I'm wrong predictions.

No comments: