Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What a Ride...A confession of sorts

First, for those of you who don't know me, I am a New York Giants fan.  This season has been one of the most amazing I can remember, probably more so than the 2007 season.  I went from being down about the season after all of the injuries and free agent losses, to getting on board the Jerry Reese wagon and buying into the fact that this team was good.  Then, the Giants hit a bump and I got off the playoff wagon, as I am apt to do when I see my team losing, it is more frustration than anything else.  I am one of the idiots that called for Tom Coughlin's firing.  yes, I admit it.  I went on Facebook and Twitter and called for Coughlin's firing.  I forgot the team was dealing with injuries and playing some of the best teams in football at the same time.  I became upset and downtrodden when the Saints absolutely crushed the Giants.  To be honest, the Giants did look lost.  Stupid penalties were occurring, misreads, broken coverages, the list goes on.  It looked like the team was in chaos.

I couldn't have been further from the truth.  Look, Tom Coughlin is no evil genius like that former Giants defensive coordinator who liked to video his opponents practices in New England is made out to be.  No, Tom Coughlin is one of the better coaches the Giants have ever had and he does it by, of all things, staying level.  Sure, we make fun of Coughlin for his screaming rants at refs and his emotions he lets out during games.  Most of that is media-driven.  After all, what coach doesn't?  Through the injuries and the losing streak where it looked like the Giants would never win another game again I bought into the distress.  It was hard not to.

Football is the only sport I can't be even-keeled in.  I can deal with a 10 game losing streak of the Yankees.  I can deal with the Rangers going on a losing streak.  Yes, they all suck.  However, losing a football game is like a 10 game losing streak in and of itself.  I look forward to the game all week and when I see my team perform poorly it makes me mad.  I would love to get paid to get angry on a field and hit some folks (okay, so I might get killed but that's not the point).  There are few football fans out there who don't live and die each Sunday with their team.

Back in August, I defended Eli Manning for his "Yes, I am elite" comments because I knew he had the talent.  Back in November and early December, I still backed Eli but I was down on Coughlin and Perry Fewell.  I saw nothing but the loss.  Nothing else.  I couldn't.  I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to the Giants.  Most Giants fans do.  I shouldn't have thought that the Giants were out of it at any point but I did, most people did.  Newspapers were speculating about who the next coach of the Giants was going to be.  Hot seat couldn't be mentioned on pre-game shows without Tom's name being brought up.

After the Saints loss I was beginning to think about next year.  A year which would feature a Giants secondary with their best cornerback back in the lineup in Terrell Thomas.  A year where Prince Amukamara would have a full camp.  Where the rookie linebackers like Greg Jones, Mark Herzlich, and Joaquin Williams would have a year of experience and a full camp under their belt.  Next year was looking pretty good.  Little did I know that next year doesn't enter the minds of the Giants, or any football team for that matter.  It just doesn't.  If there is a way there has to be a will to go with it.

Let me be clear, I never stopped rooting for the Giants.  Not when they have gone 4-12, 7-9, 6-10, or any other record they have sported in the twenty-six years I have been a fan.  I just wallowed in the muck that comes with getting blown out and losing ugly.  The Redskins game in December threw me over the edge. Nothing the Giants did was right and I really began to question if the Giants had any heart.  They did.  It was on display the next two weeks and then again against the Falcons, the Packers, and the 49ers.  This team won't quit.  And, I apologize for ever thinking they had.  Oh, and I still think the Giants will be a better team next season, even if they do win the Super Bowl this season.

No comments: