Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Guide to Collecting

I figured I would take a little time out and publish a quick guide to collecting sports memorabilia.  Today, major companies in the industry like Steiner Sports has caused the price of autographs to go through the roof.  There is also a lot of controversy surrounding some formerly reputable authenticators of autographed memorabilia ongoing.  Neither of these is good for the industry, or for collectors.  There are ways to grow your collection of autographs without investing a lot of time or money into it.  While, my method of autograph collecting is  not of authenticated stuff, it is a fun hobby and all the autographs can be authenticated later if so desired.  So, how do I build my autograph collection?

Through the Mail, hereafter known as TTM, is one way to quickly build an autograph collection.  There are still several Hall of Famers that will sign for free or for a nominal fee.  Yogi Berra, for example, will sometimes sign for free, or if you want a surefire Yogi Berra autograph, send him $40 and you'll get your item signed for sure.  $40 vs. over $100 at a place like Steiner.  You do the math.  others like Bobby Doerr, will sign for as little as $5.  But, not everyone signs, nor does everyone charge for their signature.

All you need to get started is a pen, paper, looseleaf, envelopes (2 sizes preferably so one can fit inside the other and get the peel and stick to make it easier on the person signing), and stamps.  First, write a nice note asking the person you are writing to for an autograph.  Be polite.  Always add a "please" and a "thank you."  You don't have to write a book, usually two short paragraphs are enough.  Remember these athletes get hundreds to thousands of requests for their signature and usually don't even bother reading the letter but there are some that do.

Include an item to get signed.  NEVER ask for an autograph and expect the signer to include something.  You should be the one providing the item, like a baseball or trading card.  I always send no more than 1 to 3 cards, depending on the signing habits of the player.  You can do some research on the signing habits of players at www.sportscardforum.com in the Autograph Central/Through the Mail section.  It's a free membership and the folks on the site are very helpful, I should know, I'm a moderator there.

OK, so now you have your letter written and have found a card of that person to get signed.  If the card is glossy, like most modern cards are, take a mechanical eraser and just gently co over the surface of the card. The eraser removes some of the gloss without damaging the card and allows the ink to adhere to the cardboard.  Fold the letter up and drop the card into the letter.  OK, now you need to get an address for that player.  Sportscardforum.com has a pretty nice sized database of addresses for players both current and retired.  There are also lists like Harvey Meiselman's list which is what I use.  Just Google Harvy Meiselman and you should find his website for purchasing his address lists.  If you want more info on the Harvey lists drop me a line and I will be happy to help you.

Address the bigger envelope to the player and include your return address in the top left.  This is important because if the player refuses the letter, or the address is out of date (this happens but don't get discouraged) you will want your item to be returned to you, especially if it is a photo or ball.  Then, on a small envelope (known as a SASE for self-addressed stamped envelope) write your address.  Don't forget to put postage on it.  NEVER expect the signer to pay for postage.

Put it in the mail and wait.  I have had thousands of successes over the past few years and have had some athletes write me nice notes in return.  One year I got a Christmas card from former Eagles running back Heath Sherman.  Another time, former Giants running back sent me back my card signed, along with the unused SASE in a large package that included an 11x14 picture that he signed and personalized to me.  It was one of the coolest returns I've ever had.  I've also gotten Redskins WR Anthony Armstrong (he reads the letters) to sign for me twice, on the second go around he put "second time around" on the card.  He is a pretty good guy and reads his mail.  The first time he included a note complimenting me on my handwriting.  Over the years I have gotten a lot of players who have sent nice notes wishing me luck on my collection, especially from former New York Giants.  It's these little added notes and stuff that really make the collection fun.  Other times players will include a signed testimonial card which describes how they found Jesus Christ.  I like these because it is like and added bonus and kind of represents a certificate of authenticity for me.  Frank Tanana, Kurt Warner, and a bunch of others send testimonial cards.  Warner will only send signed testimonial cards but will return your card as well, albeit unsigned.

If you are going to try this hobby expect failure.  Even with guys who are great signers you are not guaranteed anything.  Letters get lost or moved...stuff happens.  Don't get discouraged.  Right now my success rate is hovering around 60% but I still get a SASE from a few years ago catch up to me, my old address in PA scrawled out in my handwriting.  Just this past week former Cardinals pitcher Ricky Horton signed my two cards and sent them back.  Considering I have been gone from PA for about two years I was amazed it caught up to me but it did.

I'll name a few atheltes who are good signers and help you get started.  I have gotten signed cards back from everyone listed but I can't guarantee the same success.  The addresses can be found at sportscardforum.com:
Josh Hamilton (takes a while but he signs), Lawrence Taylor, Leonard Marshall, David Robertson, C.C. Sabathia (only during Spring Training and it takes about a year), Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Karl Malone, George Martin, Devin McCourty, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Bob Griese, Anthony Armstrong, Frank Gore, Charlie Hough, Ike Hilliard, Mark Herzlich, Henry Hynoski, Jared Allen, Peyton Manning (requires small donation to his charity), Chad Greenway, Jason Giambi, Jeff George.  The list goes on and on.

All it takes is the cost of two stamps and a trading card.  That's a helluva lot cheaper than spending hundreds of dollars through Steiner Sports or some other outfit.  Give it a try, what have you got to lose?

No comments: