Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wrist Shots

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I am addicted to sports. Here are some stories from around the sports world.

-Rangers forward Sean Avery recently came out in support for gay marriage. Hockey agent, Todd Reynolds took to Twitter to announce his support against it. Personally, I think both men are correct in airing their opinions. Reynolds didn't get crazy and did support equality among all people but believes in the sanctity of marriage. Personally, I don't see how this makes ESPN but it did. I think both men are entitled to their opinions and as long as everything remains civil I don't see why either should be crucified for their beliefs.

-There is a story circulating around Detroit and on NY's sports talk radio station WFAN about a possible trade between the Tigers and Mets. The trade, from what I am understanding, is David Wright to the Tigers for Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson, and Brandon Inge. If I'm the Mets I do the deal. Now before you get upset, hear me out. I know Wright is the face of the Mets franchise but he is not as good as Reyes, who is the real spark plug of the Mets offense. Wright is a good player but its the following numbers that scare me about him: 113, 113, 115, 118, 140, 161. Those are Wrights strikeout totals from 2005 to 2010. They have gone up every year. Another number that causes me concern: 72, 66, 94, 94, 74, 69, the number of walks for Wright during those same years. His batting average has also taken a nose dive during that span. Beginning in 2005 Wright hit .306, then .311 in 2006, .325 in '07, .302 in '08, .307 in '09, .283 in '10 and is currently batting .241. Something isn't right. This year he currently has 38 K's and 22 BB's in 35 games. The Mets need to ask themselves is Jose Reyes a better player at 29 than Wright at 28? Look at who is currently performing and who is not. Sure, Reyes is hurt a lot more than Wright but when Reyes is on the field he is one of the most exciting players in the game. With no big shortstops coming up in the free agent market (aside from Reyes), over the next couple of years the Mets need to ask themselves, can they afford to let Reyes leave via free agency or do they try to re-sign him and trade Wright, or keep Wright and trade Reyes for a reduced price? If I'm Sandy Alderson I trade Wright, especially if I can get that package from Detroit plus an extra prospect.

-It was nice to see Yankee fans give Melky Cabrera some love in his first game back to Yankee Stadium since the 2009 World Series. He was traded as part of the Javier Vazquez deal that offseason. He was included in the roll call which was classy.

-I am finding the NBA Playoffs to be exciting, but, and this kills it for me, I can't stand the officiating in the NBA. Stars get away with murder. They can travel, foul, and basically do anything they want. This makes it unwatchable for me.

Well, that's it for tonight. Be safe and enjoy the sports!

No comments: