Monday, August 18, 2008

Mistreatment at the Legends Game

On Saturday, August 16th, I attended a Legends Game at PNC Field that saw nine members of the 1978 Red Sox take on nine members of the 1978 Yankees.  Tickets for this event were $30 and were being sold through the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, though they claim to have had no part in this event.  When I purchased the tickets for the event I was told there would be no formal autograph session but that the players would be encouraged to interact with the fans and sign autographs.  I also was not told that the game would only be 5 innings.  I had to find that out much later, after my tickets had arrived.

Even upon finding out that it would not be a 9 inning game I still held onto the belief that this event, hosted by the Times-Tribune, would be fan-friendly.  Boy, was I wrong.  The players did not sign many autographs, with some players completely ignoring the fans altogether.  Not only did we, the paying public, get fleeced for $30 but the players didn't play the entire 5 innings.  Some of the guys took time off and were replaced by kids.    This was a slap in the face because we, the customers, did not get what we paid for.  

The Times-Tribune should be ashamed of itself for sponsoring the event.  The sheriff deputies that pulled security for this event were bordering on abusive.  They shouted at fans to stay away from certain areas outside the park which fans usually access after games for autographs.  At one point me and the group I was with were told we had to leave the sidewalk that is in front of the stadium.  We were walking, talking, and trying to find out where and what to do next.  Well, the deputies apparently made it illegal to stand on sidewalks in Moosic after Legends games.  I was appalled at this.  First off, my car was on the other side and I would have had to cross this "sensitive area" to get to my car.  How can this police officer tell me I can't walk there?  This pisses me off more than anything.  I fought for my country, went over o Iraq to fight the Global War on Terror.  I did not do this to be treated like Osama bin Laden's cousin.  I am not a terrorist.  The next time I am treated like one I fear I might explode.  (There is a side story involving my attendance with Tracy at a Yankee game on the 17th of August and a camera bag.)  

These cops, by the way, were seen getting autographs from the players for themselves.  I think that is piss poor professionalism, locking out the general public and then getting autographs for yourself.  Speaking of locking out the public, Goose Gossage was signing autographs at a table in the Coors Light Pavilion of PNC Field.  This was not a scheduled event and as far as I can tell it was just Goose being courteous to his fans who paid good money to see him.  However, PNC Field Staff quickly locked the gates, making the only entrance/exit back inside the stadium.  I attempted to go this way, actually getting inside the stadium again only to have my entry blocked by PNC Field staff telling us there was no entry.  I couldn't help but wonder how all the people behind him got past him.  Surely he could see the tens upon tens of people walking around behind him.  Later, I found out through another fan that when security got tired they began telling people they needed a ticket to be in the Coors Light Pavilion.  Some people were even kicked out from the line to get Goose's autograph.  Just a terrible way to treat the fans who paid for this event.  

I could understand if this was a game that counted for something, or there actually was a security risk.  But these guys were retired and would fade into obscurity if it were for fans willing to pay $30 to see them play an exhibition game.  This was purely a money grab set up by the Times-Tribune, PNC Field, and the other sponsors of this event.  After the game, one could meet the players.  Well, only if they paid $200 for a "Meet the Players" party held at Mohegan Sun.  Mohegan Sun, for those of you that don't know, is a gambling institution.  I don't know if children would be allowed into this event but if I were a parent I would not want them to be exposed to that environment.  Also, only the very well off can afford $200 tickets.  This was another way to stick it to the average fan.  Sadly, average fans just seem to roll over and take it these days.  Well, this is one fan who refuses to roll over anymore.  I will soon be sending in a formal complaint to the SWB Yankees.  I will keep you posted as to the outcome of that complaint.  I am betting it gets shoved under the rug and I give up my season tickets.  At this rate, they can have them.

No comments: